Why SAP on DB2?
When SAP and DB2 are combined, the IBM workload-optimized servers adapt to ever-increasing workloads while reducing costs, according to the International Technology Group’s 2010 report, “Business Case for IBM System z: Bottom-Line Impact of Availability and Recovery.” Additional advantages the report cites include:
- DB2 can reduce overall data management costs by up to 30 percent.
- By using IBM workload optimized servers DB2 can be optimized for SAP.
- Using deep compression, DB2 requires less data storage than other databases, with superior algorithms for database tables and database indexes.
- DB2 is able to compress temporary table space, which can comprise up to 30 percent of some environments.
- Migrating an SAP environment to DB2 is straightforward, and IBM has special migration offers to contain costs for clients.
- If DB2 skills are an issue, clients can work with IBM Global Technology Services and the applications-on-demand business to remotely manage services running in the client’s infrastructure.
< Return to main article