Powerful and Secure
Discover LDAP Authentication on Your IBM i Server
Lightweight Directory Access Protocol (LDAP) is an application protocol for data query and modification by using directory services running over TCP/IP. It may help you with your directory problems.
LDAP is an open industry standard that’s evolved to meet the needs for accessing and updating information in directories. LDAP is gaining wide acceptance as the directory access method of the Internet and is therefore also becoming strategic within corporate intranets. It is supported by a growing number of software vendors and is being incorporated into a growing number of applications.
IBM Directory Server for IBM i is an IBM implementation of LDAP on the IBM i platform. Since IBM i V5R1, Directory Services is integrated as part of the base operating system. Directory Services includes an LDAP server and complete set of LDAP clients and utilities.
LDAP server, as user authentication and authorization for Web servers, is often incorporated with HTTP server to protect Web resources. The HTTP server can act as an LDAP client, making requests for information. Compared with other authentication methods, LDAP authentication allows the information to be shared by multiple LDAP clients and to be stored in a platform-independent fashion. This can help prevent information from being duplicated within a network.
This article is aimed to provide a simple way to configure LDAP server on IBM i as user authentication and authorization for HTTP server. I’ll mainly use the following two products:
IBM Systems Director Navigator for i
IBM Web Administration for i
In the article, I’ll show you how to:
- Use IBM Systems Director Navigator for i to configure LDAP server
- Use Tivoli Directory Server Web Administration Tool to manage LDAP server
- Use Tivoli Directory Server Web Administration Tool to set up LDAP directory
- Use IBM Web Administration for i to create HTTP server
- Use IBM Web Administration for i to configure restricted Web resources
- Use IBM Web Administration for i to configure LDAP property file
- Use IBM Web Administration for i to configure LDAP as authenticate server for HTTP server
Like what you just read? To receive technical tips and articles directly in your inbox twice per month, sign up for the EXTRA e-newsletter here.
comments powered by