A New Integration Paradigm: IBM i Edition Express for BladeCenter S
The IBM i Edition Express for BladeCenter* S offers an extremely attractive option for existing System i* 515 and 520 customers to reduce IT costs and complexity by consolidating their i and Windows* applications with an IBM BladeCenter solution. With a starting price less than $13,000, the i Edition Express for BladeCenter S is priced less than a similarly configured Power* Systems 520 tower or rack server running i. In addition to running your i applications, the i Edition Express for BladeCenter S lets you consolidate x86 servers into the BladeCenter S chassis, which supports up to six blades and more than 3 TB of disk. And, with a three-year warranty included, the lease price of the new solution could often be less than what you may be paying today for hardware maintenance.
IBM i on the JS12 blade uses PowerVM* Standard Edition, which includes POWER* Hypervisor*, Micro-Partitioning*, Virtual I/O Server (VIOS) with Integrated Virtualization Manager (IVM), Lx86 and Virtual LAN features. PowerVM Standard Edition is available for no additional charge on BladeCenter JS12 blades. IBM i uses the VIOS partition for access to BladeCenter resources and storage devices. The VIOS partition owns the Ethernet and serial-attached SCSI (SAS) adapters on the blade and virtualizes the resources to the IBM i partition.
Delivering an integrated system, the i Edition Express for BladeCenter S includes a predefined configuration combining a JS12 blade, IBM i and BladeCenter S chassis.
IBM BladeCenter S chassis (7779-BCS) with:
- UltraSlim enhanced CD-RW/DVD-ROM drive (#4156)
- IBM BladeCenter S 6-Disk Storage Module (#4545)
- IBM BladeCenter SAS Connectivity Module (#3267)
- IBM BladeCenter Copper Pass-thru Module (#3219)
- BladeCenter Copper Pass-thru Module Cable (#3223)
- Two 146 GB 15K rpm SAS Disk Drives (#3749)
- Two power cords (2.5 m), to wall, (120V/15A) (#4578)
IBM BladeCenter JS12 Express (7998-60X) with:
- IBM BladeCenter JS12, 2-core, 3.8 GHz processor (#8442)
- Two processor entitlements (#8444)
- 2 GB (1 x 1 GB) DDR2 667 MHz DIMMs (#8220)
- Two IBM 146 GB SAS 10K SFF HDD (#8236)
- SAS Expansion Card (CFFv) for IBM BladeCenter (#8250)
- Two PowerVM Standard Edition (#5406)
- IBM i (#2145)
- One processor entitlement
- Ten user entitlements
- One-year software maintenance
Additionally, the i Edition Express for BladeCenter S includes a configuration that’s easily upgraded with additional options or POWER processor-based blades, VIOS preinstalled, i image preloaded and a kick-start script to reduce time required to get started.
< Return to main article